So you are on your first date, but somehow you can't get yourself to start a conversation and break that immense ice between you two? Oh, that is harsh because you will both remember that date as a dull and boring date and you will not get a second date. We do not want to pressurize you and make it worse, so let's get into ways you can break that ice.
1. Tell a joke: Jokes are one of the best things to break the ice. Even if you are not a funny person, jokes will still help you out. If your jokes are witty or it is the worse joke anyone has ever told, it should still be able to break the ice. But be careful not to be rude or disrespectful. You are both there on a date to get to know each other, so anything at all should be better than nothing. Also starting with a joke should take the pressure off at least a little bit. However, when you are telling a joke don't be sarcastic, mean, or crude just find some regular jokes to tell.
2. Observe- Observe your surroundings, and if you find anything funny, you can use that to further the conversation. At least you would be breaking the ice by commenting on something absurd that is happening around you. Laughs are the best way to break the ice and get talking. That can even end up being an inside joke between you two. Having an inside joke right from the beginning would be a great start to date. However, again do not be rude or disrespectful to anyone or anything. Ladies love men who are funny and aware of their surroundings, so use that to your advantage.
3. Make fun of yourself- Making fun of yourself to break the ice is a great idea, but do not be too harsh on yourself. Nobody likes a downer or low self-esteem so keep it light but funny. A little self-depreciation can break the ice because it would take the pressure off and show that you are both human and have flaws, just like everyone else.
4. Create a small game to play- Games have always intrigued us since we were kids, so if you are in a public place creating a game can be easy and fun. Play a small game like, "I spy" or create backstories for people around you. You can even create a whole scenario for you guys to play along- It could be making up an accent and talking that way. You can both have fun and laugh all about it.
5. Find conversation topics- Before you go in, find out a little about your date and try to find some common interests. From those common interests, Google some conversation starters or questions to ask. Just look up as much as you can so when you get to your first date you will have plenty of questions and conversation starters. If it becomes awkward or silent at any point, you can pull out from your reserves.
For more articles, check out our blog posts. If you are ready to find the one for you, sign up or log in to your Waplog profile and date until you drop. Have fun.